Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is it true it is unsafe to color/highlight your hair while you are pregnant? If so,why?

I have been doing my research about the dos and don'ts of being pregnant. I've heard you shouldn't color/highlight your hair, but I haven't read anything about it yet. I just found out I'm pregnant.Is it true it is unsafe to color/highlight your hair while you are pregnant? If so,why?
OK either call the Dr or the number on the box and talk to a consultant. But I do know (3 kids) that your hair may not take to the color as it did before. So be careful when you do it. My advice would be, be in a well ventilated area so not to breath in the bad fumes. Good luck and congratulations on the up coming baby.Is it true it is unsafe to color/highlight your hair while you are pregnant? If so,why?
Because I have been coloring my hair approximately every 6 weeks since high school, I discussed this same thing with my midwife when I was pregnant with my son.





She told me that people will tell me all the time to quit, because doctors used to say it was unsafe, but now the chemicals used in the dyes have changed. The chemicals they now use aren't as harsh, and they also don't seem into your blood stream as much as was originally thought. So, the short answer to your question is no, it is not true.





HOWEVER, there are some women who will have a bad reaction to the dyes now that they are pregnant, so the best advice would be to go to a professional, who works in a well-ventilated area, and do a strand test before you really get started. Some women find that their hair reacts differently to the dyes, so if you've been using blonde #76 for the last 10 years, it may suddenly come out orange. Also, you may get a rash, or the smell of the dyes may make you extremely nauseaous.





I didn't have any problems at all, and dyed my hair roughly 5 times while I was pregnant. Also, at the shop I used to go to, there was a pregnant hairdresser who got her own hair colored there at the shop, as well as routinely dyed her clients hair. If it was safe for her to be around it on a daily basis, it's likely safe for the rest of us to spend 2 hours around it every other month.
In theory, the chemicals could harm the fetus. But since there have not been any studies to rate the risk, it's just a mater of being safe rather than sorry.
I colored my hair when i was pregnant with my daughter i was in my 2nd trimester she came out healthy i heard it was dangerous if you do it in your first trimester. try using ammonia free dye
I actually asked my doctor this when I was pregnant with my first child. He said that there is a theory that the chemicals used could cause harm to the fetus. He also said that no one will EVER test the theory because frankly, you have to be pregnant and they aren't going to find many women who are going to do it. From experience, I got my hair done with my first child during my second tri-mester and with my 2nd child during my third trimester. Both kids are just fine, and the pregnancy and the delivery was normal. Also, my reason for not doing it the first trimester was because i felt the baby was developing a lot during this tri-mester. So really its a personal choice and there is no eveidence that will support the theory either way.
I asked my doc the same thing. He said years ago it was dangerous due to the different chemicals used in hair dyes back then. Now though, chemicals are different and he doesn't feel it poses a risk. He told me that the last thing I want is to be in the delivery room with horrible roots :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment